Taking the Bite Out of Onion

Pin ItDid you know that the acid in onions that makes your eyes burn is water soluble? This is the same acid that bites when you eat raw onion. So, if you want raw onion in a salad or on a sandwich or burger (etc.) but you want to skip the bite, slice or chop the onion and soak it in cold water for about 5 minutes. Rinse, drain and add to your salad or sandwich. The onion will be much milder and some onions, such as red onion, actually become sweet. Crunchy, sweet and delicious. Chances are, your non-onion people will become onion enjoyers after this.



Sliced onion in a bowl of cold water is easy to drain but chopped onion can be a bit harder. To make it easier I put the chopped onion in a colander, then put the colander in the cold water. Simply lift the colander out of the water and you're set.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love raw onions...this will be a great benefit to my onion consumption! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes put mine in a container in the fridge to help cut down the burn.. especially when I chop up a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love onions especially raw purple (red) ones, no one else in my house will eat them, sad huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, this is the best tip ever! I don't slice onions at home and I often miss them since I love cooking with them but since being pregnant I am very sensitive and my eyes burn so bad when I try to cut them. I will be trying this- thank you so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love onions with or without the bite ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew water would cool an onion off. I have to try that. dwelchert@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great tip! I never knew that & it will greatly help in my cooking! My husband HATES onions & I am looking forward to trying this out & perhaps tricking him ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had never heard this before and can't wait to try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete