Spicy Sweet Teriyaki Noodles

Pin It
Today is Lani's birthday. My sweet little tiny baby girl somehow turns 20 today. Where has the time gone? In honor of sweet Lani's birthday, I made one of her favorite meals. She loves this. I love this. We all love this stuff. I make a double recipe of the sauce and store the remainder in a jar in the refrigerator. Here's to you, Lani.



Spicy Sweet Teriyaki Noodles
1 16-ounce package linguine
1 small onion
1 small zucchini
1 small head broccoli
1 large carrot
1 small cucumber
1 1/2 cups Yoshidas teriyaki sauce (or other good quality teriyaki sauce)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 tablespoon Thai chili sauce (not the red chili sauce - this is Thai chili sauce - spicy and sweet)
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 cup water


Cut the carrots, zucchini and cucumber in matchsticks or julienne strips. Cut the broccoli in tiny florets. Cut the onion in thin slices. Cut the slices in half. I use a mandolin to julienne the vegetables very simply. If you don't have a mandolin you can still do this with a knife. You might think it tedious. I don't mind cutting them this way. I think it adds so much to the enjoyment of the noodles. You could, however, cut the vegetables in any shape you please. And, of course, you could add any other vegetables, such as mushrooms, cabbage, celery, green and/or red bell peppers, etc.

This is my mandolin. It will slice or julienne in 2 different thicknesses.
Lots of matchstick vegetables. Don't worry if you don't have a mandolin. A knife works just fine and doesn't take as long as it might seem. Lots of vegetables. The more, the better.

Set aside the cucumber. You could steam the remaining vegetables until they are crisp tender, about 5 minutes. I cook them with the noodles like this: Cook the noodles in salted boiling water according to the package directions. Set the timer 5 minutes less than the package directions. When the timer goes off, add the onion, carrots and broccoli. Set the timer for 4 more minutes.When the timer goes off, add the zucchini and time for one minute. When done, drain.

In a saucepan, combine Yoshidas, soy sauce, ginger, Thai chili sauce and brown sugar. Dissolve the corn starch in the water. Stir into sauce. Heat and stir until thick and glossy.


The title says sweet, but this stuff is deliciously spicy hot.
Pile vegetables and drained noodles on plates or in bowls. Drizzle with as much sauce as you like.


The sauce is thick and sweet and spicy hot deliciousness.
 Top with cucumber and serve. 




The sauce is sweet and spicy hot. The cucumber adds a lovely delicious coolness. Perfect to feed the family, whether it's one or two or 6 or 8 or 12. So easy. So delicious. Any leftover vegetables and noodles can be packaged in a freezer bowl or freezer bag and frozen for another day. They'll keep for a couple of weeks in the freezer.


I love this stuff.
I love that Lani loves this stuff.
I love Lani.


Happy Birthday, dear sweet darling Lani. I love you.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy. I look forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! We're a family of 6 (that includes 4 teenagers - oy!), and one of them (one of the 13 year old twin boys) is a vegetarian. I have no idea how that happened, but I go with the flow around here! I'm doing a huge cooking extravaganza of freezer meals (I HATE to cook, so I'm going to try this and see how it goes), and I have to make meals for that kid, too (ya think?!), so this looks great!

    ReplyDelete