Vegetarian Noodles over Mashed Potatoes

Pin It

One of my favorite meals from my childhood is Noodles Over Mashed Potatoes. My mother used the leftover roast from a previous meal to make the most delicious beef and and vegetables with noodles and she served it over mashed potatoes. It was less brothy than soup but more brothy than gravy. The combination over mashed potatoes is most delicious. I suppose to some this is a strange combination. But. Not to me. And now not to my family. It is now one of my oldest daughter's favorite meals, too. 

It is also a favorite meal of my second daug hter, Lani,although she is now vegetarian and has been for more than 7 years. When she comes home I still make Noodles Over Mashed Potatoes for her but I make a Vegetarian version for her. It is just as delicious and oh we do love it. That's the recipe I will share with you here. All the better if you have a Lani to share it with. Someone you love will be a fine substitution.

 Start with onions and carrots. Chopped celery is nice here, too. Cook these in a little hot oil for a few minutes until they start to get soft. Don't let them brown. Add butter and flour. Cook this all together for just a minute or two.


 Add cream of celery soup and broth.

Stir in vegetable broth, a little sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat to a gentle boil.

Add noodles and cook till tender. Add the peas. Spoon over hot mashed potatoes. 


Vegetarian Noodles
(Over Mashed Potatoes)

1 onion, chopped
2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 can cream of celery soup
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups dry noodles
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper
1 cup frozen peas

Cook onion, carrots, and celery in oil until beginning to soften but not brown. Add butter and flour. Melt and cook together. Stir in soup and vegetable broth until smooth. Heat to a gentle boil and stir in noodles. Cook until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes. Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in frozen peas. Serve over hot mashed potatoes.


2 comments:

  1. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

    light indian dinner recipes vegetarian

    ReplyDelete