Creamy Cole Slaw

Pin It
There is a war going on. I am aware of it, sort of in the background of some meals, on the outskirts of some gatherings, on the edges of some conversations. The polite might voice which side of this war they are on but they mostly keep their opinions under their breath. I have known some who will carry on with dignity and politeness even when, or maybe especially when they are outnumbered by the other side. Others are not so polite and express their disgust with the other side and are loud and even obnoxious about their standing on the matter. Some hold their stand to be based on fact rather than preference and hold an elite sort of superiority over the other. 

What war, you ask?

The war between Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip, of course.

Beautiful, smooth, white, creamy stuff. Some recipes are just not the same without it. 

Which?

I love both.

I cannot take a true stand in this war. 

This was not always the case.

When I was a little girl...actually all the way up until I left my parents' home when I was 18 (yes, I suppose I was still a little girl then, too), I only knew of Miracle Whip. I knew next to nothing about mayonnaise since it was never allowed into our home. Dreadful stuff, they said. Miracle Whip is the correct choice, they said. 

I actually think this is true. Sometimes.

Like on a lovely BLT. Bacon. Fried until the fat has partially rendered until slightly soft, slightly crisp and oh so salty. Red, ripe, juicy, delicious tomato. Not those red things you buy at the store. No. I mean a garden ripe, fresh tomato. Lovingly dusted with salt and pepper. Crisp, slightly moist, perfect lettuce. Toast. Not too dark. Barely tan, but definitely toast, not just warm bread.

And.

Miracle Whip.

It must be Miracle Whip.
On most sandwiches.
And in Potato Salad. (Do you want the recipe?)

But.

Then there is mayonnaise.
Delicious, smooth, creamy, dreamy.
Some recipes are just not the same without it. There is no replacement.
Like in Macaroni Salad. (Do you want the recipe?)
And in most Salad Dressings. Which is ironic since Miracle Whip is "salad dressing". 
But really.
Most salad dressing recipes (the creamy sort, of course - I don't mean the vinaigrettes and such) are much better beginning with mayonnaise than with Miracle Whip.

But.

Now for the exception.

Cole Slaw.

THIS Cole Slaw.

The dressing for these bits of shredded cole vegetables is a loving marriage of both the lovely Mayonnaise and the beloved Miracle Whip.

Both in your refrigerator is a beautiful thing.


This perfect Cole Slaw recipe starts with all the usual suspects.

Shredded cabbage and carrots.
Miracle Whip
Mayonnaise
Vinegar
Sugar
Bon Apetit
Salt
Pepper


Gather all the dressing ingredients in a bowl.

Whisk them all together to make a smooth, creamy sauce.
I used red wine vinegar here because I love it, and you can see that the dressing is a bit pink. You could use white wine vinegar if you want it stay white. But really any vinegar will do...apple cider vinegar is probably my second choice.

Pour the loveliness on to the shredded cabbage. Is it not lovely? Just looking at this makes my mouth water. It is smooth and creamy and sweet and slightly tart. The Miracle Whip does not overpower the Mayonnaise. The Mayonnaise does not overpower the Miracle Whip. It is a truly loving marriage.

Serve it just like this. Or perhaps portion it out into individual servings and pour the dressing over each, the way they do in some restaurants.

 Or stir it up and allow each bit of cabbage to be embraced on all sides by the deliciousness.


I love this Cole Slaw so much. It is great with so many things.
Serve it up with BBQ Ribs.
Serve it with BBQ anything.

Like BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches topped with THIS Cole Slaw.
Oh my!
(Do you want the recipe?)

And so many other things. Like...

Shrimp Po' Boys.
Sandwich of Shrimp on a bed of THIS Cole Slaw.
Oh my!
(Do you want the recipe?)

But for now.
This is all I want for dinner.

This whole bowl is mine.

I shall use a spoon so I do not miss a single drop.


Creamy Cole Slaw
3 1/2 - 4 cups shredded cabbage, red cabbage, carrots
(or use about 1/2 of a 1 lb. bag of cole slaw mix)
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
1/3 cup Miracle Whip
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or white wine or apple cider)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon Bon Apetit
(substitute a combination of onion salt and celery salt, if you don't have this)
salt
pepper

Shred the cabbages and carrots. Any combination you like will be lovely. When I use the bag of pre-shredded vegetables from the store, I usually chop it finer before putting it into the bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the other ingredients. Be generous with the pepper. Pour it over the shredded cabbage and enjoy!

Adding finely chopped green onion and sliced almonds add a level of deliciousness to this salad. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment