Sweet and Sour Salad

Pin ItChoosing a favorite salad is not an easy thing to do. So much depends on what mood I'm in today, or what my taste buds are wishing for, or what wonderful thing(s) are available and in season, even what mood the weather is in. =)

However, if I you were to ask me, at this particular moment in time, what my favorite salad is, I would have to answer, Sweet and Sour Salad. This answer might have something to do with the fact that my mouth waters just thinking about the Sweet and Sour Dressing recipe that I last posted. Maybe. Or maybe not. Truth is, this is one my very favorite salads.



Sweet and Sour Salad


1 12-ounce package bacon
1/2 of a 16-ounce package of square wonton wraps
1 cup red grapes
1 carrot
6 cups torn Iceberg lettuce
3 cups torn red curly lettuce
Sweet and Sour Dressing
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese


Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces. Cook until almost crisp. Drain on paper towels. Cut wonton wraps into 1/4-inch strips. Deep-fry in hot oil until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels.








Cut each grape in half. Peel carrot. Use a vegetable peeler to to cut carrot into thin flat strips.






Arrange lettuce and curly lettuce in a large salad bowl. Top with bacon, grapes and carrot strips. Add wonton strips and drizzle with dressing just before serving. Sprinkle with cheese.

Surely you can see why this is one my favorite salads. I make it often for lunch. Just this salad. Sometimes I add some cooked chicken to it, if I happen to have some leftover from dinner last night. With chicken or without, it is just right for lunch. I also serve it with dinner. Such a satisfying crunch from the grapes and wonton strips. It completes so many different main dishes. My whole family likes it. I hope you like it, too.

This recipe comes from the book, On the Side, page 166.

No comments:

Post a Comment